Once youve decided that its time to hire some outside help to assist with the care of your aging relative, you may have questions about where to turn. If you ask the people around you, youre likely to get conflicting advice. Some might tell you to place an ad in the paper and hire an individual. Others might tell you that an elder care agency is the way to go. Which one is right? There are pros and cons to both options. Obviously, the choice is up to you.
Hiring a Private Individual
The main benefit that many people find in hiring a private individual is that it tends to be cheaper. In addition, you are the boss, so you get to set the parameters of what you expect for your aging relatives care. You also get to hand-pick the individual.
Those are certainly good reasons to consider hiring an individual, but they do come with a downside. Hiring an individual can take a lot of time. Youll need to set up interview appointments, conduct interviews, and perform background checks. Once youve decided on the person, youll spend time calculating the hours they worked each week and how much to pay them. Then, when they need to take a day off or if they become ill, youll need to find someone to fill in for them. If you dont have a back-up, you might find yourself taking time off work or missing something else on your schedule. Also, if the person doesnt work out or if they quit, youll have to start the whole interviewing process again.
Using an Elder Care Agency
The downside of using an elder care agency that most people are concerned about is the increased cost. Yes, its true that you may pay more to use an agency than you would in hiring an individual. However, consider all the added benefits you get with an agency, such as:
- Youll skip the interviewing and background check process. The agency has performed those tasks for you. Their staff members are pre-screened and qualified for the job.
- When the regular elder care provider needs a day off, the agency simply sends another professional to stand in for them.
- If the staff member assigned to your family member isnt a good fit, you simply contact the agency and let them know. They will work with you to find the right person.
- You dont spend any time on payroll tasks. You simply pay the agency. They take care of paying the provider and handle all the tax issues.
- Elder care providers who work for agencies are covered by the agencys insurance. So, if they get injured while caring for your loved one, the agencys insurance will handle the costsnot you.
In the end, youll need to sit down and weigh the pros and cons of your options. It can help to talk through the seniors care needs with them and with other family members. Talk to people you know with experience in the matter and find out what worked for them.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Maple Grove, MN, and the surrounding areas, please contact the friendly staff at CareBuilders at Home Minnesota. Call today 612-260-2273.